The History of West Hills
The area was originally inhabited by the Natve American tribe of Tongva. They lived close to the Los Angeles River, which originates in West Hills from El Escorpion and Bell Creeks. There is a prominent peak off of Valley Circle Blvd on the west called Castle Peak. This area is believed to have been a meeting point for the Tongva and Chumash tribes. Today it caters to a very desirable residential community of single family homes with the added benefits of being part of the Las Virgenes School District.
In the mid 1900's Rocketdyne moved into the area. It became a major employer and attracted other aerospace companies into the area such as North American Aviation, Hughes Aircraft (now Boeing) and Teledyne. With this boom in the local economy much of the western section of Canoga Park has been renamed West Hills and this is how it all started.
Today West Hills is one of the most desirable areas in the San Fernando Valley to live and work. Quiet residential areas ranging from entry level housing including some town homes to Luxury Estates such as Monte Vista, Stonegate, The Estates Collection, Valley Circle Estates and many more.
We are very proud of our public schools since they are some of the most highly regarded schools within LAUSD. The students work very hard to gain achivements and reach high rewords. Some of the public schools include Pomelo Street Elementary, Welby Way Elementary, Haynes Street Elementary, Justice Street Elementary, Hamlin Street Elementary and Capistrano Avenue Elementary. Most West Hills residents attend Hale Junior High and El Camino Real Senior High in Woodland Hills. It is important to know the boundaries since there are some exclusions.